Not a subscriber? Click here to sign up!
In this issue:
- 2020 Software Releases
- CFS Is Compatible with Windows 10, 7, and More!
- Information Return Deadlines
- New Update Email Policy
- CFS Tip: Find Module
2020 Software Releases
The following 2020 CFS programs have been released:
To download any of the above programs...
- At our web site, click on Download Software.
- Enter your Customer ID and ZIP Code, then click the Go to download page button.
- Download and install your software, following the instructions at the top of the page. Note the yellow table beneath the instructions, which contains your license code(s). You can copy the license code from here and paste it into the program when you install it.
If you ordered your software on CD, you may have already received it by first-class mail.
CFS Is Compatible with Windows 10, 7, and More!
This month Microsoft announced that they will no longer support Windows 7. Since then, we have received a number of calls from customers wondering if our software is still compatible with Windows 7, and if it is compatible with Windows 10. The answer to both questions is yes.
Our programs are currently compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2003.
Compatibility with Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 will be phased out over the next couple of years.
Information Return Deadlines
The January 31 filing deadline for all Forms W-2 and for Forms 1099-MISC reporting non-employee compensation is just days away. If you are unable to meet the deadline, file Form 8809, Application for Extension of Time to File Information Returns. The form can be found in CFS Payroll System under "General Forms/Utilities."
If you are applying for an automatic 30-day extension (not available for Form W-2 or Form 1099-MISC reporting non-employee compensation; see below), you can file an online fill-in Form 8809 through the FIRE system at https://fire.irs.gov, or, if you have the W2/1099 E-File Add-On, create a Form 8809 file that can be uploaded via the FIRE system.
- Automatic extension requests are not available for Forms W-2 or Forms 1099-MISC reporting non-employee compensation (NEC). Extension requests for these forms cannot be made electronicallly; they must be made using a paper Form 8809 signed by the filer/transmitter or a person who is duly authorized to sign a return.
- States have their own requirements for filing an extension. Check with your state tax agency.
New Update Email Policy
This time of year, we post lots of program releases and updates, which means we send out lots of notification emails. However, if we send too many emails, we run the risk of being identified as a spammer and having our emails blocked. Additionally, an overwhelming percentage of customers have set their program to automatically check for updates. Because of this, we have instituted a new update email policy: from now on, not every update will be announced by an email.
The best way to ensure that you get all program updates is to configure your CFS software to automatically check for updates on start-up. Click "Configuration" on the menu bar, and make sure there is a check in the "Check for web updates when program starts" box in the upper left corner of the "Configuration Options" screen.
NOTE: Do not check the "Check for web updates..." box if you do not have a permanent, high-speed internet connection (in other words, if you use a dial-up connection).
CFS Tip: Find Module
TaxTools contains over 300 modules, which can make it difficult to find what you are looking for by scrolling through the Module Library. Instead, why not use the "Find Module" utility?
Either click the "Find Module" button on the Module Library toolbar, select "Find Module…" from the File menu, or press CTRL+F to bring up a search box. Enter a keyword and click "OK." All modules containing the keyword in the title will be displayed in a “Find Module Results” category. To return to the “All” category, select it from the Category drop-down menu or press CTRL+F3.
Happy New Year and Tax Season!
CFS Customer Service
To contact us, please click here. To unsubscribe from this service,
type "unsubscribe from enews" in the Comment field.