Not a subscriber? Click here to sign up!
In this issue:
- 2019 Software Releases
- Financial Planning Tools and Schedule D Tools
- Why the Delay?
- Please Take Our Survey
2019 Software Releases
Most 2019 CFS programs have now been released. (For two exceptions, see "Financial Planning Tools and Schedule D Tools," below.) If you paid for CD shipping, you have probably received a CD containing initial releases of your 2019 programs.
But why bother with CDs? Most of our customers have discovered the benefits of downloading their software from our website: eliminating the cost of shipping (and in some cases sales tax), and getting their software immediately, rather than having to wait for a CD.
To download CFS software:
- Go to www.taxtools.com and select Download Software from the Downloads menu.
- Enter your customer ID and zip code, then click the "Go to download page" button.
- Download and install your software, following the instructions at the top of the page. Note the yellow table beneath the instructions, which contains your license code(s). You can copy the license code from here and paste it into the program when you install it.
We also maintain links to past releases, in case you should ever need to download and install an old program.
Financial Planning Tools and Schedule D Tools
Financial Planning Tools and Schedule D Tools sometimes cause confusion because, unlike most of our other programs, they are not released at the beginning of the calendar year: Financial Planning Tools is generally released in March; Schedule D Tools is generally released in late April or early May. Also, both of these programs are licensed for one year and will expire unless they are renewed. It is important to keep these facts in mind when ordering, so that you order the version of the program that you need.
- Financial Planning Tools 2019 will be released in March and will expire on May 31, 2020. After that, you will no longer be able to enter new data; you will, however, be able to view and print data that has already been entered.
- Schedule D Tools 2019 will be released in late April or early May. It will allow you to enter transactions through June 30th of 2020 and generate reports for 2019 and previous tax years. A Realized Gains Report can be printed for the first six months of 2020.
Why the Delay?
We get a lot of calls this time of year from anxious customers wanting to know why a particular update (such as the Payroll System update for Form 941) or a particular program (such as Maryland Personal Property) hasn't been released. "Why the delay?" they ask. "The IRS/state released that form weeks ago!" Here are a couple of reasons the form you are waiting for might be delayed.
The form may be awaiting approval. When a new form is released by the IRS or a state, we generally must follow a three-step process before we can release the program or update containing that form. First, our programmers must create the module that generates the form. Next, the module must undergo rigorous testing. Finally, the IRS or state must approve the form generated by the module. If there is a delay in releasing a state form, it is almost always due to this final step.
The form may be delayed by another form. Often, multiple forms are released at about the same time. At such times it is more efficient, both for us and for our customers, to include them in a single update. This means the update can't be released until all of the included forms have been programmed, tested, and approved. However, we will always release the update well before any of the included forms' due dates.
So please be patient; we will release your update or program as soon as possible, and well in advance of the filing deadline.
Please Take Our Survey
We take pride in our customer service and strive to handle customer questions and concerns courteously and efficiently. If you have recently called CFS customer service, you can help us continue to do our best by participating in a brief online survey. The seven question survey will take as little as a minute of your time and may help us improve the way we handle your next call.
To take the survey: select Customer Survey from the About CFS menu on our website, or click here. We especially appreciate your comments and suggestions.
CFS Customer Service
To contact us, please click here. To unsubscribe from this service,
type "unsubscribe from enews" in the Comment field.