Not a subscriber? Click here to sign up!
In this issue:
- 2013 Software Releases
- Form 941 instructions are wrong—CFS is right!
- It's not too late to order red forms!
- Have you updated your license code for 2012 Payroll System?
- Tax Season Humor
2013 Software Releases
The following 2013 CFS programs have been released:
- CA 571 Preparer
- MD Personal Property
- Payroll System (941/940, LivePayroll, Payroll Corrector)
- Quick Reference Guide
- Small Business Tools
- Tax Corresponder
- W4 Calculator
If you paid for CD shipping, you may have already received a CD containing the above programs. If not, it's easy to download the programs from our web site:
- At our website, click on Download Software.
- Enter your customer ID and zip code, then click the "Go to download page" button.
- Download and install your software, following the instructions at the top of the page. Note the yellow box beneath the instructions, which contains your license code(s). You can copy the license code from here and paste it into the program when you install it.
Form 941 instructions are wrong—CFS is right!
As of the first of the year, IRS changed the Form 941 filing addresses for some locations. We updated the Label/Envelope Maker and Cover Letter in Payroll System 2012 accordingly.
Because the IRS did not change the Form 941 instructions, there has been some confusion. The addresses in the 2012 Instructions for Form 941 are incorrect. The IRS website—and CFS Payroll System—have the correct addresses.
It's not too late to order forms!
Remember—the deadline for paper filing of information return Copy A's is February 28th. We still have plenty of forms in stock. If you haven't ordered yet or you need to order more, the quickest way is at our online store.
For additional information on filing W2s and 1099s, see our instructional video, Year-end Forms Filing Tips for W-2s and 1099s. We have also posted videos to help you e-file W-2s and 1099s, import data from QuickBooks, and use other features of CFS programs. Click here for a complete list of instructional videos.
Have you updated your license code for 2012 Payroll System?
This time of year, we receive calls from frustrated W2/1099 Payroll System users who cannot access the program, simply because they have not updated their license code. Remember—your license code is based on your firm name, address, and the programs you have purchased. If, like many of our customers, you purchased W2/1099 Payroll System at the end of the year, months after you purchased your other CFS programs, the license code you received when you purchased those other programs will not work for W2/1099 Payroll System. You must use the new license code you received when you purchased W2/1099 Payroll System.
You can look up your license code online using your MyCFS account. It is also displayed beneath the instructions when you download software from our Download CFS Software page. To change your license code in the program:
- Open CFS Payroll System.
- Click on the "File" drop-down menu at the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click on "Firm Information..."
- Enter your new license code in the "License Code" field.
- Click "OK."
Tax Season Humor
The accountant had just read his daughter the story of Cinderella for the first time. When he was finished, the little girl seemed puzzled, so he asked her if there was something in the story she didn't understand.
"Just one thing," she said. "When the pumkpin turned into a golden carriage, would that be considered income or capital gain?"
Happy New Year and Tax Season!
CFS Customer Service
Please contact us if you would like to discontinue this free monthly service.