Not a subscriber? Click here to sign up!
In this issue:
- Last chance to return forms!
- Have you renewed your software, forms, and supplies?
- Are you aware of your state's pay stub requirements?
- How to Avoid Payroll System Confusion
- Technical Support Options
- The 940 update has been posted!
Last chance to return forms!
Our return policy states that tax forms must be returned "within 30 days of receipt, but no later than December 15th of the same tax year." If you haven't yet done so, please inspect your shipment of tax forms and other supplies. Verify that we sent you the correct items and that there is nothing you forgot to order. Also, keep in mind that items are sometimes damaged in transit. Forms and envelopes must be returned sealed and unused, and refunds will not include shipping charges.
Have you renewed your software, forms, and supplies?
If not, why not? Tax season is just around the corner—don't be caught unprepared. With your MyCFS account, it's easy to renew online. You can also use your MyCFS account to:
Are you aware of your state's pay stub requirements?
More and more employers and employees are opting for the convenience of direct deposit. However, many states, in order to prevent employees from being underpaid, require employers to provide a paper pay stub. Here in California, for example, employers must furnish an itemized statement showing:
- Gross wages earned
- Total hours worked (not required for salaried exempt employees)
- The number of piece-rate units earned and any applicable piece rate if the employee is paid on a piece rate basis
- All deductions (all deductions made on written orders of the employee may be aggregated and shown as one item)
- Net wages earned
- The inclusive dates of the period for which the employee is paid
- The name of the employee and the last four digits of his or her social security number or an employee identification number other than a social security number
- The name and address of the legal entity that is the employer
- All applicable hourly rates in effect during the pay period, and the corresponding number of hours worked at each hourly rate by the employee
(California Department of Industrial Relations, Paydays, pay periods, and the final wages.) Failure to provide the above information may result in penalties of up to $100 per employee, per violation—up to a maximum of $4,000 per employee.
How to Avoid Payroll System Confusion
941/940, LivePayroll, W2/1099, and the Payroll Corrector are all separate programs that share the same "Payroll System" interface. Because of this, if you purchase and install one of the Payroll System programs, such as 941/940, and subsequently purchase another Payroll System program, such as W2/1099, you do not need to install the second program. Just update Payroll System with your new license code, and you will have access to the program.
941/940, LivePayroll, and Payroll Corrector are released in January. However, because many of the forms in W2/1099 are not available until later in the year, W2/1099 is not released until September. Because their release dates are nine months apart, customers frequently order both programs at the same time, but for different years. This may lead to confusion in that they believe they have already renewed this year's W2/1099 program, when they have, in fact, renewed last year's program.
There is an easy way to check what software you have or have not ordered. Using your MyCFS account, just check your license codes on our web site. This page will tell you your license code for each year, along with a list of the programs for which you are licensed.
Technical Support Options
Our toll-free number, (800) 343-1157, is only one of several ways you can get technical assistance. Others are:
- Online Chat – Click the Chat with Technical Support link on our home page to open a text-based chat session with a technical support representative. The service is available during normal business hours; at other times you will be given the option of e-mailing your question.
- Remote Support – During an online chat session or phone conversation, the support technician can connect to your computer via the Internet. This is done using a secure connection and only with your permission. We can fix problems directly or demonstrate use of the program on your own computer.
- Online Tech Support Request – Under the "Internet Options" menu of most of our programs, select "CFS Tech Support Request..." to fill in an online form detailing your problem. Your request will be answered by e-mail or phone within one business day. The Technical Support Request form can also be accessed from the Technical Support page of our web site.
- Frequently Asked Questions – Click the FAQ button under "Quick Links" on our home page to view a knowledge base containing detailed solutions to many common technical support issues.
- Instructional Videos – The Instructional Videos page is available from the Support menu at TaxTools.com or from a link in the Help menu of most CFS programs. These brief videos can assist you with such things as downloading and updating software, using our Online Tax Research site, and performing specific tasks in CFS programs.
The 940 update has been posted!
The 940 update has been posted on our website. It can be downloaded automatically from within the program, or manually from the Payroll System Updates page on our website. Later this month, we will mail an update CD to 941/940 Payroll System users who purchased 2012 update CD service.
If you are a 941/940 user, have you considered upgrading to CFS LivePayroll? LivePayroll is the easy way to process payroll, print paychecks, and file payroll returns. LivePayroll allows you to:
- Print real returns and paychecks in minutes with an intuitive and easy-to-use interface that is common to other CFS programs.
- Enter payroll data on a daily, quarterly, monthly or paycheck basis.
- Automatically calculate wages based on the employee’s annual salary or hours worked and hourly rate, federal withholding, state withholding, local withholding, Social Security, Medicare, and other payroll deductions.
- Customize income, tax, and deduction items for each employer.
- Print pay stubs, preprinted checks, or blank check stock using included MICR font (a $139 value).
- Produce payroll for an unlimited number of employers with an unlimited number of employees.
- Import QuickBooks® after-the-fact paycheck data to save data entry time.
- Use all of the forms and features of 941/940 Payroll System, included at no extra charge.
Happy Holidays from CFS!
Please contact us if you would like to discontinue this free monthly service.